[ Period ]
Application for the 61st & 62nd IATSS Forum Program in 2019
61st IATSS Forum: *May - July, 2019 (55days)
62nd IATSS Forum: *September - November, 2019 (55days)
* Applications are accepted once a year.
[ Participating Countries ]
Language Used: English
Communications will be based in English.
Number of participants
61st IATSS Forum: 20 participants , 2 participants for 10 countries
62nd IATSS Forum: 20 participants , 2 participants for 10 countries
Closing Date of Application for 61st & 62nd
From February-1st to June-30th, 2018
The IATSS Forum pays for the round trip airfare, participation fees for the program, accommodations, and almost all food expenses, etc.
Participants need to pay for their personal expenses.
- Applicants must be from one of the above mentioned countries and possess the physical and mental capabilities necessary to participate fully in program activities.
- Applicants should be 35 years old or younger at the time of the closing date of the application.
- Applicants must currently be a full-time employee working in a professional field.(Self-employed and freelance included)
- Applicants should have at least 2 years of full-time professional job experience at the time of the application.
- Applicants should have sufficient English skills and cultural adaptability to live and study abroad.
- Applicants must travel to Japan unaccompanied.
Application documents: All documents are to be sent to the applicant's Country Secretariat.
Need to submit
- IATSS Forum application form (A4 size)
- 2 essays (A4 size)
- 2 photos (4 cm x 3 cm, name on the back)
- 2 recommendation forms (A4) (One of them should be your direct supervisor at your present job)
- Certificate of English Proficiency (if you have any)
For applicants from the Philippines, additional documents are required. Please contact IATSS Forum Philippine secretariat for more details.
Please carefully read the application booklet above first and download the application form (word) for submission.
Please provide a hard copy of the document to the Country Secretariat. Please do not send it to them by e-mail.
There are three stages to the screening process.
- First Screening
- (July-August, 2018)Examination of application documents by the IATSS Forum Country Committee
- Second Screening
- (August-September, 2018)Examination of application documents by the IATSS Forum Steering Committee in Japan
- Final Interview
- (November-December, 2018)Interview with prospective applicants by the IATSS Forum Steering Committee and the IATSS Forum Country Committee, in their country
Other terms and conditions
- The IATSS Forum Steering Committee retains the right to make the final decision on participation in the program.
- Only those applicants who have successfully passed screening at each stage will be contacted.
- The IATSS Forum Steering Committee will specify participant arrival and departure dates.
GMA is keynote speaker for NSTW
- Written by S&T Media Service
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo will speak at the start of the National Science and Technology Week celebrations on July 7 organized by the Department of Science and Technology.
The president confirmed that S&T plays a key role in the development of the country, while developments and innovations done by DOST spur progress and open new opportunities to improve the Filipinos’ quality of living.
The NSTW and the ASEAN Science and Technology Week, which the country hosts this year will be a “great opportunity to remind the people, and keep them aware of the latest breakthroughs in the field and their implications in daily living”, she said
The event highlights the accomplishment and will feature discussions on issues and challenges facing S&T developments in the Philippines.
It starts on July 7 at the World Trade Center in Pasay City. Other activities include the annual Science and Technology Fair that will showcase technologies that DOST developed or supported with applications that meet domestic industrial and consumer needs.
DOST, which is also celebrating its 50th anniversary hosts the 8th ASEAN Science and Technology Week in time for the 2008 National Science and Technology Week on July 7-11 that will be held in three separate venues in Manila.
RP marks World Metrology Day
- Written by S&T Media Service
In another scale of expanding globalization, the Philippines joined the international community in observing World Metrology Day last May 20, which marks the signing of the Metre Convention by 17 countries on the same date 133 years earlier.
The Metre Convention is an international treaty that created three organizations to oversee the keeping of the metric standards and gives them authority to act on world metrology related matters. It is also designed to embrace a worldwide uniformity of measurement through the use of the International System of Units.
Metrology is the science of measurements that embraces both experimental and theoretical measurements and determinations at any level of uncertainty in any field of science and technology.
A current example of its usefulness is the construction of the European Airbus A380, parts of which are made in France, Germany, Spain, and UK and then transported to France for assembly.
Such international commercial collaboration and uniform product quality standards would be difficult without accurate validated dimensional measurements between the various national metrology institutes and laboratories of the countries involved.
The Metre Convention lists 51 member-states as of January 2008 along with 26 associate states and economies of the General Conference. The Philippines is an associate state of the convention. (Yen Ocampo, S&T Media Service)
Applications for the 45th and 46th IATSS Forum
- Written by S&T Media Service
The Philippine National Committee for the International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences (IATSS) Forum is now accepting applications for the 45th and 46th IATSS Forums to be held in Suzuka, Japan from April to June and September to November 2009.
The Forum aims to provide the participants from ASEAN countries with a broader perspective and understanding of the role of science, technology and culture of Japan and the developments in ASEAN countries.
The IATSS Forum is open for Filipino men and women who are not more than thirty five (35) years of age at the time of application. They may come from any executive or administrative branch of government with at least 2 years professional experience and are involved in policy formulation and planning work, or they may come from the academic and private sectors. Applicants from any field of activity/specialization are welcome. Please see additional list of requirements for your participation.
1. Not more than 35 years old
2. Must be currently employed in any government, public, private and academic institutions
3. If employed in government agency, must be involved in policy formulation and planning
work or in research to policy planning
4. If employed in academic institutions, those whose work as professors at a university or
5. If employed in private institutions, those who are candidates for a leadership position
6. Must hold a permanent appointment
7. Must be computer literate
8. Must have rendered at least two (2) years of service in government, academe and/or
9. Must have completed the required service obligations for previous scholarships availed
10. Must not have any pending scholarship application under other program
CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR NOMINATION
1. Letter of recommendation from head of office/agency
2. Accomplished IATSS application forms
3. Two (2) references -- one from supervisor, one from former professor/teacher
(use referees form)
4. Applicant will write an essay on: “You would like to apply for the 45th /46th IATSS Forum Program, but your boss is opposed.” In your essay, please attempt to persuade your boss to consent.
5. Certified true copy of diploma and transcript of records
6. Four (4) photos (4 cm x 3 cm, pls. write your name at the back)
7. Clearance from administrative charges
8. Certified copy of service record
9. Certified statement of actual duties and responsibilities
10. Certification of completed service obligation for previous scholarships availed
11. Certification of no pending scholarship application under other program
12. List of previous scholarships/trainings attended
(Note: Items 1 to 4 should be produced in 10 copies)
Interested applicants may apply to:
UNDERSECRETARY FORTUNATO T. DELA PEñA
IATSS Forum Philippine National Committee
c/o Department of Science and Technology
General Santos Avenue, Bicutan, Taguig City
Deadline for Submission of Application: June 30, 2008